Tuesday, December 9, 2008

First Post

This is my first post here. I've written other places, but I wanted a space to really talk about the things I like to do, the things I'm doing, and to in general describe stuff. Basically, I'm a blog whore. I write different things on every blog that I do, and I write in four different places if you count this blog. I have a blog for the every day, journal stuff. I have a blog for trying to change the world. I have a blog for all of my friends to read. This blog, I'm not sure what it will be. I want to talk about God. I want to talk about the experiment that is our church's current deal right now, The Refinery. I want to talk about hiking and running and just being in God's creation. Maybe this is my blog about God. Who knows.

I do want to say that my blog's title means a lot to me. For a long time, I had a blog called Juliet's
Question. In fact, I still write there to journal, but the fact is, that title is sort of irrelevant now. Her question was in Act 2, during the balcony scene. She asks, simply, "Dost thou love me?"

While Romeo throw her flowery words and empty promises, THIS is what is on Juliet's heart. She wants a straight answer. She knows that she loves him, but she needs to know what he truly feels for her. Does he just want a date for the night? Is he just looking to get in her pants because he thinks she's kinda hot? Does he want to marry her? Juliet refuses to settle for the guy who just wants to get in her pants. She wants a man who is willing to be with her no matter what, who is willing to face the risks defined in their relationship head on...

The problem with Romeo was that, in reality, he couldn't face it.

I don't want to get into some sort of literary dispute about it, but the fact is, Romeo couldn't deal. He killed himself, in an extremely wussy way, I might add, because he thought that Juliet was dead, and he couldn't go on without her. This is not the strong man Juliet wanted. Is it romantic? Well...sort of. Did he love her? I really think that's still up in the air. If Juliet was dead, Romeo was banished for nothing, couldn't go back to his family, just didn't want to face life. Juliet kills herself as well, but it's because she feels responsible for Romeo's death. Not because she can't go on without him, but because she can't go on WITH the guilt of him killing himself for her.

Either way, it's kind of moot.

The fact is, I feel like Juliet has been redefined for me. Romance isn't what it was when we were fourteen, or even nineteen. I'm twenty-eight, and I'm sure Juliet will be redefined for me again and again. I have learned that true love is about choice, commitment, - not how hot the guy is or how much you want to sleep with him. I have learned that the greatest romancer of a girl's heart is God - what boy could paint for you the sunset? What boy could waft the scent of roses over your nose as you walk through the trees he crafted to shade you on the very day? And I've also learned that my second greatest romancer is my man, Michael, who has shown me that I am not made up of the world's definition of me. I am more than that. You just have to look deeper.

3 comments:

Jeff said...

You have FOUR blogs and I'm just finding out now?

I have obviously not been a very good friend...

Missy said...

haha - it's totally fine. I have one on open diary that I don't let people who actually know me read. lol. And I write notes on facebook and blogs on myspace sometimes. I just found this and I'm trying to figure out how to use it. Sigh, I can't figure out how to follow people's blogs like the Joneses because I can't find the "follow this blog" thingie.

Jeff said...

You can follow blogs using your dashboard (when you first sign in at blogger.com). It took me a while to figure everything out - just play and you'll get it :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...