Monday, June 8, 2009

Vasserette - you've got to be kidding me.



I recently received my monthly copy of Better Homes and Gardens. I know. I never thought I would be into it either, but I enjoy looking at the pictures and stealing ideas. Either way, I saw an ad in the magazine that was just plain offensive. I couldn't believe that this particular ad was pointed toward a female audience. Unreal.

The worst part is, for most of my life until my daughter was born and I went for comfort over silky, I wore Vasserette bras. I like the jewel toned colors and I could get bras without padding that were still comfortable and looked cute and were fun to wear. Never again. Sorry. Just lost a somewhat loyal customer. Fruit of the Loom all the way.

The ad features a woman in a Vasserette bra, but only shows the torso. Her upper face/head and legs are removed from the image, shown to the left of this blog. The ad reads: "Hope you're willing to sacrifice a little eye contact."

I honestly just want to vomit.

I can't believe that a bra company in this day and age would advertise in such a dehumanizing manner.

I should buy this bra because then men will only want me for my body? WTF, Vasserette.

I'm appalled that I ever bought into this company.

Perhaps some will see this as an overreaction, but I honestly can't help it. The message it sends to women is one that devalues them to the point of objectification. This ad, to me, says "You are worthless without your body. You are only worth the size of your breasts. You are not worth talking to face to face. No one cares what you have to say, only what you look like. You should be a brainless sex machine put on earth for the sole purpose of pleasuring men."

Gag me with a plastic spoon, people.

Seriously.

2 comments:

sphanley said...

So, I got a blogspot just to comment here (heh) - but I had a gmail account so it was pretty easy anyway - but yes, I definitely agree with you on the offensiveness of this. And like I said before, I can see it being a very effective ad and sales actually going up because of it.

Missy said...

I know - and it's a sorry situation, as I commented on the FB account (I prefer this for this particular blog, btw, but I want more fan base for the concept so picked up the page on facebook). Women are trained at a young age to see themselves as objects because the media objectifies them, and such is the vicious cycle of brainwashing in our society. It's not fair to blame the men here either, because they're in the same boat - taught that beauty is about prettiness, rather than actual beauty. Pretty is nice. Beauty is lasting. I just wish there were more I could do.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...