Thursday, May 27, 2010

Lady Gaga

I've found myself a little obsessed with Lady Gaga.

I don't really know why this is.  I guess most of America is obsessed with her at some level.

I'm not blinded by the glitz and the insanity that she displays at most times because this is acting, publicity, and etc.  I'm not saying that she wouldn't be weird if she wasn't famous, but I am saying that her weirdness is being stretched out of proportion because of her fame.

I admit that she is a talented musician.

I also admit that she is doing a lot for the music industry.

But I haven't been able to figure out where she weighs in as far as my view on what she's really doing for women

I think that some would jump up and down at this point and tell me that simply the way she dresses and exploits her sexuality should reveal the fact that she is a big downer for females in general - but the fact is - I'm not sure if this is the case.

Something about Gaga cries out that she is powerful and strong, rather than weak and ready to be the slave of someone.  Now, Bad Romance might be a whole other spin on things - the video is simply disturbing.  Call it artistic or whatever - it makes me want to vomit.  But I get the feeling she's doing something - like she has some message for everybody out there but isn't quite ready to give it up yet.

I watched her video with Beyonce yesterday - serious lesbian overtones of course - and the whole, Beyonce killing her boyfriend in the diner and then noting that Gaga has subsequently killed everyone else in the diner - these things were a little off - but I mean, she's got to embrace what the public thinks about her anyway to a point, it's just good business.

I'm just not sure about where she's headed - what's her stance on her gender?  Is she capitalizing on the fact that a bunch of people think she's secretly a man?  And why doesn't she ever wear pants?

I'm also interested in the fact that most of my feminist friends - who are much more versed in the arts of feminism than I seem to have a thing for Gaga - in a strictly musical sense - so what does it all mean?

Please note that this blog is mostly me posing the question - not me trying to give any answers.

What is it about her that intrigues us?  And what will her intense popularity do to our culture?

She's no Britney Spears.  Of that I am certain.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

She actually doesn't wear pants because when she first started out, her grandmother would come to see her perform, and could only see really bright colors, so in the club, with the stage lights on that would be her skin and hair... At least, thats what an article I read said.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...