Saturday, April 19, 2014

The Parable of the Table Setting

We take a break from our regularly scheduled Beatitudes exploration to bring you this:




A father invited many honored guests to dinner one night and asked his daughter to set the table.

He left the guest list with her and went out to finish his day's work.

The daughter began to set the table but then mislaid the guest list.

Panicking, she was unsure about what to do.  She could not remember if a certain person had been invited.  She thought about what her father had said about the person before and her own experience with this person and was still unsure about whether or not he had been on the list.  In the end, she set a place for him and went to tell her father that her work was done.

When he came in to inspect he asked for the guest list so that he might check off each place setting.

"I'm sorry, Father, I misplaced it."

"Then how did you know who I invited?"

"I was sure of most of the guests, Father, save one."

"And what did you do about this?"

"I set a place for him anyway, Father."

"And why would you do that?"

"Because I knew, Father, that if he had not been invited and there was an extra place tonight, you would ask me to remove the place settings, and we would carry on with dinner as before, but if he had arrived and there had not been a seat for him, you would have had to give him my place at the table, and I did not want to miss the party."


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...