Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The opposite of SAD.

A long while back I posted about Seasonal Affective Disorder: SAD (for short).  It was the turning of the seasons and my own issues were just kicking in.

I have reversed SAD - most people experience the beginnings of their depression around THIS time of year: Autumn.

For me, it is the opposite swing of the pendulum.  Some refer to this as: mania.

I do not fit with every definition, obviously, but I do have elevated mood, high energy levels, and many of the other things - most of them, in my opinion, positive.  I adore the fall.

But I wanted to publish this post not because I am feeling especially jazzed, but for two other reasons.

1.  It's important to note that anywhere from 5 - 20% of the population in the U.S. is currently entering into a season of depression.

2.  SAD is not just fall/winter depression and spring mania.  SAD can be reversed, as it is with me.

I hope that you will be on the lookout for friends and family members who may experience their downward swing in the fall.  Take them out to lunch or for coffee.  Encourage them in their endeavors and help them to get outside and involved in life.  It's so hard to drag yourself from your comfortable fog in those times.

I also hope that you will be on the lookout for your friends and family who have reversed SAD.  Listen to them when they go on about things.  Listen to be sure they are making sound decisions and not just leaping in headfirst to things that are unhealthy.  Help them to stay balanced and not bite off more than they can chew.

We'll thank you for it, in the end.

6 comments:

Missy said...

I will check it out. Thanks for reading mine. Same to you - please follow this blog and share it with others.

Summer said...

I LOVE YOU! JUST SAYIN!

Anonymous said...

I definitely feel much better in the fall too! Summer pretty much puts me in a raunchy mood though - I hate being sweaty, and the mosquitoes and gnats that swarm around here in the evenings when it's slightly cooler don't help!
I'll definitely be on the lookout, and drag them to colonial wburg for a walk in the crunchy leaves and some salted caramel hot chocolate! ;)
-Robyn

Missy said...

Robyn - sounds LOVELY!

Missy said...

Summer - back at ya!

Missy said...

Mr. Lonely - I had a hard time finding a place to leave you a comment on your blog - that would be my first suggestion - be sure that everything you want people to use can be easily found! Don't get bogged down by ads. You want your blog to be inviting and clean. I'm not expert, there are many bloggers out there who are wildly successful who you should check out. Look at super popular blogs and learn as much as you can from them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...