Monday, March 30, 2009

snagged the part

So I am officially playing Emily/David in the original play, Butterfly, by Trish Cole. It's an intense drama about a woman who kills her trans-gendered daughter after she makes the complete transition to a man, David. The woman reflects on these things from her jail cell. She's out of her mind a bit, she has determined that she killed David, not Emily. That her daughter, who she calls "the butterfly", was killed by David and she was avenging her little girl by killing this man. It will certainly leave the audience questioning just about everything on their way out of the theatre. Whatever you think about the trans community, would you kill your child? How would you react to a daughter or son who went through this change? It's very intriguing, and though it is morally interesting for me personally to play such a role, I think it will be really good for me and the community to be a part of this piece. All things are for a purpose, and all things work together for good for those who are in Christ Jesus. I think that I was meant to be there, at that audition. I was meant to shave my head, to have these experiences, to meet people, to be cut from Sweeney Todd, all for this particular opportunity. I am honored to be a part of such a beautifully written piece, and interested in the sort of response it will receive from the community. Should be an adventure.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...